Saturday 13 October 2007

let's do lunch at glass wine bar

Glass Wine BarLevel 2, Hilton Hotel, 488 George Street, Sydney
+61 2 9265 6068
www.glassbrasserie.com.au

I’m a big fan of Glass Brassiere. I’ve eaten there a few times and each time I have walked away impressed that dishes with such rich flavour can also be so fresh and elegant. It was with this in mind that I set out for the Glass Wine Bar’s Let’s Do Lunch special.

The Glass Wine Bar is an annex off the Brassiere’s main dining room, hidden behind the mountainous wine shelves beside the floor to ceiling windows overlooking George Street.

Their Good Food Month special was a confit of corn fed chicken leg, parsnip puree, date, pickled orange and almonds.

First, I should state that I never choose chicken at a restaurant. I cannot recall one time I have been in a restaurant and chosen the chicken dish from the menu. Not once in my entire life.

Despite this, I really did like the sound of this dish. Glass had avoided the fish, lamb and Mediterranean flavours that seem to appear on half the Let’s Do Lunch list and had gone for something a little more unique. Pickled orange, dates and almonds sounded wonderful together and certainly made this main stand out from the pack.

I was not disappointed.

The chicken was cooked perfectly. The flesh was moist and the skin was crispy yet malleable – I devoured it with the sweet-savoury parsnip purée. The aromatic orange rind permeated the dish and almonds added gentle texture. Perhaps the date was a tad dry but it seemed more decorative than anything else and the rocket salad on the side made up for the date in nutty-freshness.

The service was prompt and friendly and we were even given complimentary bread, not something generously offered when dining out on Let’s Do Lunch specials.

We drank the Brown Brother’s sponsored wine, this time the 2006 Vermentino that had a slight tropical noise but a fairly acidic palate.

After the meal we glanced over the dessert menu and I was tempted by the chai bavarois, the chocolate assiette and even the passionfruit soufflé, but my companions we full so I didn’t want to swim against the tide.

If you’re looking for a Let’s Do Lunch in the city, this non-chicken-loving food blogger highly recommends Glass Wine Bar.

Glass Brasserie on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I love Glass as well - the creme brulee I had when last visiting was wonderful! Glad your chicken was delicious.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails